Miami Shores Community Church
Open and Affirming Statement
We are a Christian community of faith committed to welcoming and affirming all people as children of God.
We believe that God calls us to celebrate each person’s uniqueness and respect the integrity of each person’s identity, life and culture.
Therefore we openly welcome and affirm people of every:
5. faith or denominational background
6. gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, heterosexual orientation
7. physical, mental, and emotional health
8. economic situation
9. family structure
into the full membership, leadership, ministry, worship and sacramental life of our congregation.
We covenant to reach out and support each other in our celebrations and sorrows, in our spiritual journeys and personal ministries, calling forth in one another the gifts of God in each of us.
We pray, that guided by the Holy Spirit, we may continue to grow in faith, knowledge and sensitivity toward becoming the fully welcoming and affirming congregation that God has called us to be.
Jesus tells us that he came to provide a new covenant and the two commandments are to Love the Lord your God and to Love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:36-40). We affirm God’s unconditional love and that all people are our neighbors.
(Adopted by the ONA Task Force on December 27, 2010
and Adopted by the Congregation at its Annual Meeting on January 30, 2011)
This is a partial list of recommended books and films available at the church library.
DVDs and Video
- Call Me Malcolm: A documentary about one man’s struggle with faith, love, and gender identity.
- Milk: A feature film, starring Sean Penn, about the first openly gay man elected to major public office.
- Unlearning Homophobia: A documentary helping us think about sexual orientation, homophobia, family and love.
Books for Adults
- Beyond Acceptance: Parents of lesbians and gays share their experiences
- What the Bible Really Says about Homosexuality: A Roman Catholic priest explores the tests that exclude and condemn, and those that bring hope.
- Can Homophobia Be Cured? Focuses on the questions Christians often raise out of their fear and hatred of lesbians and gays.
Books for Children
- It’s Okay to be Different: Inspires children to embrace diversity in others
- Heather Has Two Mommies: A classic (1989) teaching that loving one another is the most important thing in a family
- The Sissy Duckling: A parable in which individuals succeed when they stay true to themselves.
- Additional resources are available please contact us and we will be more than happy to provide you with this information.